Friday, February 2, 2018

200 Items Or Less: Night Of The Eagle (1962)

A few thoughts: I have a bit of a soft spot for movies about witchcraft and the occult -- I just find these to be a very intriguing subject. So when I came across well-received but still overlooked older horror movies about those things, you know I have to give them a look. And even with the high expectations I had going into it, this movie did not disappoint. I found myself reminded of Jacques Tournier's 1957 classic 'Night of the Demon' while watching this, a statement that can only be seen as a compliment, considering that films masterful tone and understated sense of dread. This is a very similar style of movie, letting the drama build and unwind naturally around a central character who wants to believe what's happening couldn't possibly be caused by the dark arts. The film doesn't waste any time getting to the point, but it never feels rushed. The production is wonderful, and the few effects shots there are are suitably unsettling and bizarre. The acting is great and I honestly have trouble finding any problems with the rest of the movie. I really dug it.


Who would I recommend it to? People who don't need their horror movies to be incredibly exciting, but prefer slow burns with great character development.

My grade: B+

No comments: