Thursday, August 31, 2017

200 Items Or Less: The Autopsy Of Jane Doe (2016)

A few thoughts: I went into this movie know only two things: it was supposed to be good, and it has Brian Cox in it. Well, it is indeed good, and Brian Cox is not only in it, but he is fantastic in it. Set at a late night autopsy during a terrible storm, this movie is able to get under your skin even when traditional horror happenings aren't happening. The setting is dark and moody, the practical effects are incredible, and the sound design makes the dissection even more disgusting. The way the movie ratchets up the suspense is fantastic, slowly building up as it goes along, but sadly the scarier the movie is trying to be, the less effective it turns out. That isn't to say it ever totally lost me, but I honestly found the movie a lot creepier before the real horror kicked in. I like the way the mystery unfolds during the autopsy and how natural it felt when they began to realize something was going on. It wasn't always the easiest movie to watch, but it gave me the creeps and was impressively produced.


Who would I recommend it to? Fans of modern horror with a little patience and aren't too squeamish.

My grade: B-

No comments: