Wednesday, August 15, 2018

200 Items Or Less: Cronos (1993)

A few thoughts: Guillermo Del Toro's directorial debut, and while it may not be as polished as some of his later films, still stands as one of the most interesting and effective films of his career. While the screenplay has a few pacing issues and never quite allows itself to get going in the ways you might expect, this vampire movie doesn't tell a typical story and for that I am grateful. The performances are good, the cinematography is good, the set design is good, blah blah blah, it's all a very visually pleasing experience, and the unique take on vampires makes for another cool looking aspect. There are a few shots where the camera begins to bob before cutting to the next scene, which was definitely odd, but never so distracting that it took away from the experience. There isn't a whole ton more for me to say about this, other than that I didn't find many things wrong with it, but didn't ultimately love it as much as I hoped I would this time around. But it's still really cool.


Who would I recommend it to? Fans of Guillermo's style, or people who are more interested in atmosphere in horror with less emphasis on shock.

My grade: B

No comments: