Thursday, June 22, 2017

Top 10 Favorite Movies of 1993


Okay, wow, I thought the last list was a tough one. There were 13 locks for my top 10 making this list, so excluding them honestly makes me feel a little dirty. Either way, I'm strictly following the rules laid out for me, making this into a firm top 10. So forgive me for my transgressions, don't hold it against me too much if I don't have your own precious favorites on here. It's my list, anyway, so stop crying about it. You really are pathetic, aren't you? I don't even know why you're still reading this, all I'm doing is insulting whoever you are. Go ahead, waste your time... Okay I'm done. LET'S DO THIS!



10. Madadayo

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Akira Kurosawa is my favorite director. I've seen dozens of his movies, and they almost always impress me. So obviously there's going to be a little bias here when I say this is a fantastic film. Easily one of his most personal efforts, Madadayo leaves a strong impression, representing the way Kurosawa wanted to be seen and remembered when he was gone. It's slow, sweet, and sentimental, and an appropriately mellowing and introspective note to end his career on.



9. Clean, Shaven

This isn't a very fun movie to watch, but I would be lying if I said it hasn't stuck with me a great deal. As far as movies about mental illness go, there are few that so effectively put you right into the mind of the afflicted as this -- a few more modern examples being the remake of 'Maniac', and the Ken Watanabe film 'Memories Of Tomorrow'. This is not a movie you go into lightly, so don't expect it to be a fun thing to plug in with friends. Well, it could be pretty funny to do and watch them squirm during the fingernail scene...



8. Dazed And Confused

Richard Linklater is really hit-or-miss for me, but I generally enjoy his movies quite a bit. And lo and behold, the movie that reached #8 on a countdown I made of movies I like is one of those "hits". This is a wonderful ensemble of up-and-comers like Matthew McConaughey and Ben Affleck, a '70s coming of age drama that's also a stoner comedy. Yeah, it's a lot of things, and it's good at being all of them. While I *may* prefer his more recent 'Everybody Wants Some!!', I feel they are very comparable experiences and would make for a very entertaining and pleasant double feature.



7. Tombstone

I often like my westerns gritty and atmospheric like 'Unforgiven' and 'Bone Tomahawk', but sometimes I just want to have fun with them. Tombstone, for all its faults, is one of the most entertaining westerns ever made filled with classic moments, great performances, and incredible music. Val Kilmer, as has been said millions of times at this point, is absolutely perfect in this movie, even managing to outshine Kurt Russell, Sam Elliott, and Powers Boothe. Oh yeah, and Bill Paxton is also there. It's a bit corny and over-the-top, but it's so much fun I don't even care.



6. Naked

Aaaand we're back to unpleasant movies that stick with you for being bold and uncompromising. Before I get into anything else, I consider David Thewlis' performance in this movie to be one of the best I've ever seen. He's thoroughly hateable (his first scene involves him raping a woman in an alley and proceeding to steal a car) and absolutely mesmerizing, delivering insane and prophetic monologues and spewing disdain and nihilism everywhere he goes. The musical accompaniment here is weirdly haunting, but it totally fits the tone. Mike Leigh is one of the most consistent directors alive, and this might be his greatest film.



5. The Remains Of The Day

When I first watched this movie years and years ago, I can safely say I thought it was just a boring movie intended for old women. And while I still feel this is essentially accurate, I have come to terms with it and accepted the fact that I must just be an old woman, because I love it now. It's a very reserved film with great, understated performances by the entire cast. I think putting a few years between my first and second viewings was a good idea, as I feel you definitely need to be slightly more mature ("slightly". I said "slightly more mature", okay?) to enjoy slow dramas like this.



4. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Heyyy it's everybody's favorite Tim Burton movie that Tim Burton never actually directed! Since I have admitted I am actually an old woman, it should come as no surprise that I was once a teenage girl. Well, not really, but my inner teenage girl loves this movie quite a lot. The songs, while at times a little endless, are mostly pretty great, but it's the animation and story that really sell this movie. It's visually fantastic from start to finish, the score is brilliant, and the plot itself makes for one of the best holiday stories of our time. Blending Halloween with Christmas like this was a work of genius.



3. Schindler's List

The Holocaust is not a subject that can generally be brought up without there being a certain level of emotion in the room. So while the subject itself is often enough to evoke strong reactions, this isn't a movie I like just for being what it's about. Simply put, this is one of the most sprawling and engrossing epics ever made, and that's largely due to the passion and detail put into it by Spielberg. Neeson, Fiennes, and Kingsley are all at the top of their game, the visuals are breathtaking, and the story itself is not to be easily dismissed: by which I mean not to be dismissed at all. It's a rare epic that's as passionate and emotional as it is impressive as a production.



2. Jurassic Park

But I mean, c'mon, as great as Schindler's List is, Jurassic Park is a survival/slasher movie about dinosaurs running amok in a scientifically revolutionary theme park. It has some of the coolest and most well-aged visual effects of all-time, some of the most memorable music in film history, tons of great moments and lines...this is one of those rare blockbusters that transcends the popcorn genre and has become a cultural milestone. It's fun, thrilling, and every other word you could use to describe a great time at the movies. You've seen it. You know how awesome it is. Now let's move on to my #1.



1. Cannibal! The Musical

Those of you who have seen this know how ridiculous of a movie this is, and those of you who haven't seen it are probably assuming this is a joke pick. Yes, the previous films on this list are all "better" in that silly objective kind of way, but if I want to plug something in that will fill me with joy, stick in my head, and never stop being a total blast to watch and quote endlessly, this Trey Parker directed comedic cannibal musical is my favorite of 1993. I love Parker and Stone, but that doesn't mean I mindlessly go along with anything they've ever made or been in -- Orgasmo mostly sucked and Baseketball, while not written or directed by either of them, was still pretty terrible in many ways. As a whole, I can appreciate the fact that this is an incredibly niche movie, and most people reading this will probably disegard it, but that doesn't mean I don't absolutely love this movie. It's the perfect blend of stupid and clever, as you could expect from the greatest comedic minds of the last 25 years. See you next time.

No comments: