Thursday, March 2, 2017

200 Items Or Less: The Darjeeling Limited (2007)

A few thoughts: I'd always considered this one of Wes Anderson's better movies until rewatching it just a few days ago, but now I can say it's definitely among the bottom two or three as it lacks much of the humor and absurd quirks that define many of his other more inspired efforts. That being said, this is still a very good movie that's charming, funny, and filled with more melancholy than a majority of his other movies (The Life Aquatic being the big exception here). The main cast of Wilson, Brody and Schwartzman play off each other perfectly, convincingly handling the difficult task of playing believable brothers, which is a rare thing for movies to capture. The Indian setting was beautiful and a perfect match for Wes' yellowed palette, helping to make this one of his most visually lovely films -- which is itself a remarkable feat. I still really this movie in spite of its relative lack of humor, but I don't love it now nearly as much as I used to.


Who would I recommend it to? Fans of Wes. And if you're unfamiliar with Wes Anderson, start with Royal Tenenbaums or Grand Budapest. If you enjoy those, give this one a try along with the rest of his movies.

My grade: B+

No comments: