Friday, January 11, 2013

Killing Them Softly; Amour; Berberian Sound Studio




Killing Them Softly
Directed by Andrew Dominik

Generally forgettable and unnecessarily political, but made watchable thanks to some strong performances. Brad Pitt and James Gandolfini give it their best, but the material they have to work with doesn't allow for much. The story is slow, but luckily the movie isn't long enough for it to become boring. I would say this a well-made movie, but it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. The result is a bit of an unfocused mess.







Amour
Directed by Michael Haneke

After seeing the remake of Funny Games, my desire to watch more by director Michael Haneke was certainly lessened. But after this, I feel I need to look more into his work. A very quiet, reserved look at an elderly couple, who are portrayed fantastically by Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Louis Trintignant. This is a very slow, very heartfelt movie. It may be boring to some, but I found it very powerful and understated. I can't say I loved it as much as, say, the Academy Awards, but this is still one of the better movies I've seen all year.







Berberian Sound Studio
Directed by Peter Strickland

A strange, dark thriller with some heavy resemblances to David Lynch: which is in no way an insult. A strong leading performance by Tobey Jones, and some of the most notably excellent sound editing I can recall in a movie. But considering the fact that this is a movie about a man working on recording the audio for a movie, somehow this doesn't surprise me. The ending may fly off the rails a bit, but the experience is still quite intriguing, and definitely worth giving a look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.