Saturday, February 19, 2022

Manga review: Vagabond


 'Vagabond' by Takehiko Inoue

37 volumes, 327 chapters

1998 - 2015 (on indefinite hiatus)


Following Uzumaki, I decided to jump headfirst into one of the most well-regarded manga of all-time, and one that was significantly longer, denser, and more impactful by every conceivable metric. I read the first 20 volumes of this one over the course of a single weekend, and I still consider this one of the absolutely best manga I've read, and I doubt that will ever change. The characterization is wonderful, the story flies by in the most satisfying of ways, and the artwork is insanely good. I was in awe of this manga pretty much the entire time. Deeply philosophical, horrifically violent, and filled with unforgettable sequences and character development throughout, as many positive things as I hear about Slam Dunk and Real, I can't see this ever being topped as Inoue's masterpiece. It might not be my #1 favorite manga so far, but it's ridiculously close.

Maybe not the most pleasant thing to read for some people, but for people more receptive to thoughtful violence within the seinen demographic, this is a total must-read. 

★★★★★

No comments: