Sunday, October 17, 2021

Manga time

 As people who've spent a decent amount of time reading the stupid crap I write on this site might be well aware of, I have a pretty wide variety of interests when it comes to media. Though I never got into comics and I've never written about my few brief spells of reading traditional books, reading has always been on a bit of a backburner for me; something I intended to get into after I'd exhausted all other entertainment options. But then after trying to get my wife into watching anime, and realizing we'd  had Uzumaki by Junji Ito on our shelf for close to 2 years, it seemed like the right time to give manga a try. And while I haven't loved everything I've read, I'm absolutely loving it.

I've long had a lot of Japanese art, from the films of Akira Kurosawa (who has been right at/near the top of my favorite directors ever for over a decade now), the anime of Shinichiro Watanabe, the short stories of Ryunosuke Akutagawa, and even music by artists like Itsuroh Shimoda. And I'm not going to go into more detail on it, but a majority of my favorite video games ever are very Japanese as well. So while I'm definitely not the weeb type who tries to emulate Japanese culture in my daily life, I have a thing for Japanese entertainment that just doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Basically, getting into manga felt almost like an inevitability for me. 

Now this isn't going to be a super long post detailing everything I've gotten into, but I wanted to pretty much get this little bit of nonsense out of the way so I won't feel the need to preface any other posts with details on how much I enjoy Japanese stuff. I probably won't be going into much detail with any reviews and stuff about manga, as I am a complete beginner who has just found a new hobby, but I will be at least giving small words on the things I've read as I go along to sort of keep track of my so-called "progress". Expect posts similar to my 200 Items or Less movie reviews, but for manga.

Alright, that's all for now, I'll probably be going to post something about the first manga I actually read here in a little bit (if you've read this post up to now, you'll probably guess which one that is), so check back in a bit if you're interested. If not, that's cool, too. I'll be updating my Taskmaster contestants list in another couple months in order to facilitate the New Zealand crew as well as the series 12 UK bunch, so that list will be jumping up from 55 people to 70. Also, the order will be changing up a decent amount, so that will be fun to write. 

Okay, bye. 

No comments: