Saturday, August 29, 2020

200 Items Or Less: Sky High (2005)

A few thoughts: My fiance was talking with someone and they insisted this was the best superhero movie they've ever seen, so we decided to say "screw it" and check it out. I'd already seen it and knew it was dumb, but that was over a decade ago...not much has changed. This is a dorky, predictable, formulaic, and obvious product of its time. It felt like some executive at Disney said "hey, those superhero movies are popular right now and so is that Harry Potter guy, let's smash the two together", which is exactly what you get here. It's bright, colorful, and will undoubtedly hold a certain appeal to kids, but I can't see it being something I would ever seek out again. Kurt Russell is fun, but he seems to be one of the only people in this who actually put out effort -- Mary Elizabeth Winstead, for example, is shockingly bad. Also, it misused Bruce Campbell, which is a horrible crime to commit. In the end, every move the plot takes was ripped from the pages of Screenwriting For Dummies, and it didn't have enough humor or excitement for me to forgive it of that.


Who would I recommend it to? Small children and people with the same hobbies and interests of them.

My grade: D

No comments: