Tuesday, July 24, 2018

200 Items Or Less: Night Of The Big Heat (1967)

A few thoughts: A movie I find hard to classify as anything but a disappointing waste of talent. A missed opportunity on virtually all fronts, this whole story feels like little more than an extended Twilight Zone episode without any sort of twist or satisfying resolution. With two of my favorite actors (Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee), neither of which receiving enough screentime, and directed by one of my favorite directors (Terence Fisher), it felt like it should have been so much more than it was. With only one subplot that actually had me even remotely engaged - involving one of the main characters and his secretary with whom he once had an affair - there wasn't much drama to be found elsewhere. The sound design gave me blistering headaches, as it implemented long stretches of high-pitched squealing, and while it made sense for them to do this, plot-wise, it still made for some pretty unpleasant chunks of time. The aliens were basically sight-unseen, the acting was solid, and the concept had potential. It just didn't come to fruition.


Who would I recommend it to? I'm not entirely sure. Cushing, Lee, and Fisher worked on too many superior projects together for me to feel this one is worth recommending.

My grade: D+

No comments: