Tuesday, March 20, 2018

200 Items Or Less: Pet Sematary II (1992)

A few thoughts: Okay, so this is a pretty bad movie in a lot of ways. But much like the first one, there's a lot of fun to be had here if you're just willing to sit back and watch the absurdities unfold in front of you. I was a bit apprehensive going into this movie because I thought the lack of Fred Gwynn and his hilarious accent would leave a huge hole and make my enjoyment of it unattainable, but oh what providence! Like a shooting star sent from the heavens, I was gifted with Clancy Brown, who manages to outshine everyone in one of the he most hilariously over-the-top and insane performances I've ever seen. I was cackling endlessly whenever he was on-screen (by the second half -- have patience, you will be rewarded), and the film's weaknesses melted away into pure delight as he gave us the Citizen Kane of B-grade re-animated comedic horror performances. The rest of the movie is pretty weak, but the bully is funny in that ridiculous Stephen King sort of way. There's some decent effects work, etc. but this movie is only worth it to see Mr. Krabs going all-out.


Who would I recommend it to? People who enjoy really REALLY over-the-top acting and lousy "horror". This isn't much of a movie, but it's entertaining.

My grade: C

No comments: