Monday, September 9, 2013

Top 100 Favorite Directors: Part V (#80 - 76)

80. David O. Russell



Though people often criticize his films of being far too typical and generic, the simple fact is that I *love* these movies, and I don't care if the exact same story has been done 1000 times already, because he does it much, much better. This is especially the case with his last two features; his earlier movies, though not as strong, have a little more individuality. Definitely one of my favorite active directors.

Favorite films - Silver Linings Playbook, The Fighter



79. Jean-Luc Godard



One of the most pretentious, artsy, avant-garde filmmakers that has somehow found his way into the consciousness of the relatively mainstream film community, Jean-Luc Godard is a unique director to say the least. Though he's never been able to really blow my mind with any of his movies, it's still hard for me to mistake him with anyone else, and I have enjoyed the films of his I've seen.

Favorite films - Breathless, Alphaville



78. Larry Blamire



Probably the least-known director on this entire list, Larry Blamire is an indie filmmaker responsible for some of the silliest films I've ever seen. The Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra is one of my all-time favorite feature film debuts, and everything he's directed since has been entertaining. Few directors can blend old-fashioned style into their work so seamlessly, all the while blending in such a unique sense of humor. Do yourself a favor and check this guy out.

Favorite films - The Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra, Dark And Stormy Night



77. David Lean



David Lean, director of epics. A massively influential director responsible for some of the biggest films in history, Lean wasn't just a director of epics, first making a name for himself with films like Brief Encounter. Though I've never been a huge fan of any of his movies, Lean's ability to engross the audience (myself included) is certainly nothing to scoff at. His films may often be long and slightly dull at times, but they're still really difficult not to appreciate.

Favorite films - The Bridge On The River Kwai, Brief Encounter



76. Chan-wook Park



A director not likely to shy away from the darker aspects of life, Park is a visceral filmmaker responsible for one of the most acclaimed films of modern times: Oldboy. Though I can't say I "love" any of his other films, the man's style and ferocity always shines through in his work, often blending in beautiful visuals and the reminder that his characters may be cruel, violent, sociopathic monsters, but they are still human. And from all I've seen, that's not easy to do without coming across as really, really cheesy.

Favorite films - Oldboy, Stoker

No comments: