Saturday, December 2, 2017

200 Items Or Less: A Page Of Madness (1926)

A few thoughts: A bizarre and ultimately pointless look through the eyes of the mentally deranged, this early Japanese horror film suffers from a total lack of narrative focus while offering up surreal imagery. I can sometimes really enjoy films like this, that put little effort into the story, but in this case I feel it would have served them well to do more with the film than just flash distorted images of people dancing. I didn't get it. I didn't get the point at all. While there were a few creepy images, it never made me feel totally uncomfortable, and at roughly an hour without any text cards, I felt like I needed a break. A movie that short should not require a break. Still, even though I didn't get hardly anything out of this, I found myself intrigued and impressed by the speed of the editing, and the experimental nature of the cinematography and presentation. Pointless as it may be, this is still a very unique experience that I'm not likely to forget anytime soon. I didn't like it much, but it has flashes of genius to it.


Who would I recommend it to? I'm not totally sure. People who don't mind meandering, narratively loose films with weird imagery and not much else.

My grade: D

No comments: