Friday, December 15, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Hatchet (2006)

A few thoughts: I always enjoy slasher movies with a decent sense of humor, and this one handles the balance of comedy and horror pretty well. Victor Crowley is a great blend of 'The Hills Have Eyes'-style mutated killer with the unstoppable hulking Jason Voorhees type. He may not be a classic slasher villain yet, but hopefully within the next few years people will be able to look back on this as the beginning of a horror legend. Now, as fun as I found the movie, it suffers from a weird issue that usually only plagues action movies: the music is too damn loud. It drowns out the dialogue, and in a movie like this where the dialogue is pretty funny, that is a big problem. Sadly, this movie throws out Tony Todd and Robert Englund just for tiny cameos, both of which I was hoping might be used a bit more, but they are just cameos after all. Oh well. I love the practical effects, and the moments involving Victor Crowley ripping limbs off of bodies, twisting people's heads off, etc. It's pretty self-aware, funny when it needs to be, and super gory. I had fun.


Who would I recommend it to? People who enjoy a good old-fashioned '80s-'90s style gory slasher. Sort of like 'Scream', but far more brutal.

My grade: C

No comments: