Saturday, July 8, 2017

200 Items Or Less: Akira (1988)

A few thoughts: It's always difficult for me to write about movies that have had such a strong impact on film, especially when it's a movie I don't completely love. But in this case, the positives certainly outweigh the negatives, as this is one of the most visually impressive animes of the 20th century. I was almost instantly blown away by how fluid and smooth (compared to other anime, at least) the animation was, but in spite of this it has a sort of unpolished charm to it that I couldn't help but to admire. The character design is the only aspect to the visuals that I didn't care for. Storywise, I would call this a mess, but there's a method to the madness. Sometimes it's a little difficult to follow, but it rewards your patience with some unique and unexpected twists. I can't say I loved it and I doubt I would consider it one of the very best anime films of all-time, but I enjoyed it, found it very engaging, and would definitely watch it again.


Who would I recommend it to? If you're interested in the history of anime landmarks and some wild sci-fi, it's definitely worth checking out.

My grade: B

No comments: